Saturday, December 17, 2005

This Pressure Got to Stop


I recall seeing pieces of The Seven Year Itch here and there over the years, and the weirdest thing about it for me was the image of Tom Ewell, a really old guy, hound-dogging Marilyn Monroe, his eyes bulging, his voice wheezy, his whole posture full of creaks and groans. I didn't get it. I know Hollywood movies demand with a Prom Queen's insistence that you enter the moment, paste a grin on your mug, and dance, dammit, everyone's looking. But I wasn't able to get myself onto the floor; this was one date I couldn't buy.

After a while I just gave up trying to watch it. This was difficult, because, like so many others, I find it a chore to keep my eyes off Marilyn. She will always be the duskiest, dewiest grape on the vine, a not-so-secret indulgence, one for the road. Pick your metaphor, I don't care; despite my happy life and settled path, I allow Marilyn to be a movie I still like to watch. And I didn't want crummy old Tom Ewell horning in, his pointy little nose twitching like a dumb bunny darting across the road.

Naturally, it is mea culpa once more. I was simply too young to get it, even when I was forty--Ewell's character, Richard Sherman, is supposed to be thirty-nine when Marilyn steps into his apartment and his shivery dreamlife. But come on, he looks fifty at least; like Walter Brennan or Michael Jeter, God rest him, Ewell has always been old. So I half-unconsciously waited until I was approaching geezerdom myself before I'd watch Itch.

It was worth the wait. At forty-nine the whole setup makes dismayingly obvious sense, from Sherman's self-delusion to the unnamed Girl's oblivious attitude toward her own flabbergasting power. I understood why he would stare, knowing better, and why she would let him, not knowing any better. You reach a kind of invisibility at a certain age. No one wants to know you're still under lots of pressure; they just flounce on by and leave the terminal swooning to you.

I wondered briefly if The Girl knew she was va-va-va-vooming Sherman into gaga-land. (Given the pastel world of martinis and hi-fis of this 1955 movie, I think I'm using the right kind of language here.) Marilyn, though, plays her, not as clueless, but guileless. She's happy to see you, and hot--literally; the movie's set during a sticky-steamy NYC summer. She loves a tall cold drink and air conditioning, but the rest of it--Sherman's hectic parody of suave, the double-backflip-entendres of every other line, even her own precision engineering--is incidental to her desire for a nice talk and a cigarette.

So while Tom Ewell, at last in my eyes behaving perfectly normally, wrestles with the billowing sails of the Good Ship Marilyn, avoiding the rocks at the last moment--actually never in danger, as far as Marilyn is concerned; she's too busy smiling wide-eyed at every bit of fun available--I came to terms with my own jittery fits and starts, happy (as much as possible) that The Seven Year Itch, while not Billy Wilder's crowning moment, did serve up a passable slice of life, as loaded with as much whipped cream and guilt as my plate could bear.

No comments:

Copyright Notice

Content copyright © 2005-2011 by Paul J. Marasa. No part of the written work displayed on this site may be reproduced, linked or distributed in any form without the author's express permission. All images, video, audio and other materials used are deliberately and solely for illustrative purposes connected with each article. Each accompanying element is intended as a research and reference tool with relation to each article. No challenge to pre-existing rights is implied. Aside from The Constant Viewer, the author claims no responsibility for websites which link to or from this website.