Monday, January 14, 2008

Rating Game Redux (21): Rebel, Rebel

When our local paper asked for a list of "songs about rebellion," I saw lots of ways to do this: political ("We Shall Overcome"), social ("Signs"; you know, "Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind"), even personal (Eric Burden barking out, "Don't push me!" right after informing us whose life it is in the first place). I think I tended toward the last; even the Beatles' "Revolution" seems to be more of a dropout/head's dismissal of politics than a direct response to any legitimate public ill. And I never miss a chance to mention Springsteen.

“C’mon Everybody”
Eddie Cochran’s joyous snarl against his parents’ punishment for his throwing a party while they’re gone—“Who cares? C’mon everybody!”

“Revolution”
Paul McCartney shows admirable disregard for his vocal chords in the service of announcing as loudly as he can that it’s gonna be alright.

“Growin’ Up”
Early Springsteen in full-throttle Dylan mode: “I took month-long vacations in the stratosphere / And you know it’s really hard to hold your breath / I swear I lost everything I ever loved or feared / I was the cosmic kid in full-costume dress.” Yep, when they said “Sit down” he stood up. Ooh-ooh, growin’ up.

No comments:

Copyright Notice

Content copyright © 2005-2011 by Paul J. Marasa. No part of the written work displayed on this site may be reproduced, linked or distributed in any form without the author's express permission. All images, video, audio and other materials used are deliberately and solely for illustrative purposes connected with each article. Each accompanying element is intended as a research and reference tool with relation to each article. No challenge to pre-existing rights is implied. Aside from The Constant Viewer, the author claims no responsibility for websites which link to or from this website.