Tuesday, January 10, 2006

30. An Ironic Twist of Irony


I received a letter from a friend--OK, an email, but from someone who doesn't see the form as an opportunity to dash off jibes and forward urban legends, but merely a letter delivery system that works faster than fast. He wrote at length on the state of modern irony in film, and the encroachment of "the New Sincerity." Again, I was pleased by the happy coincidences in my life--or at least that of my mind--because just last night I watched Shallow Grave, Danny Boyle's 1994 Hitchcock-meets-Seinfeld sneer-a-thon, in which a clever-clever, happy trio snips and capers, then snaps up every chance to indulge in merry greed, violence, and the cool thrill of the triple-cross, until they're left with a hysteria-laced goblet spilled across the tablecloth like Poe's mad wine, dark and venal. I saw it on video around 1996, and enjoyed its widdle-ol-wicked-me snicker and dull thud mayhem.

Maybe it's because of the movies I've been watching lately, or the fact that two of my children will all-too-soon be (hopefully clever) young adults on their own themselves, or simply the resolve I've been forming over the past near-decade--if I must say, since my parents died--to pass through with a bit less sniping and a bit more grace--not exactly Elvis C.'s move from disgusted to amused, but it'll do; but I didn't have as much fun with Shallow Grave as I did that near-decade ago. I couldn't stop thinking that this was not just a darkly witty, brilliant exercise--although it works as one--but a horror film for the wayward ironist; watching the three young up-and-comers (a physician, an investment banker, and a journalist) cut up a corpse, drive themselves to insanity--and drive knives deeply into each other--I was convinced that, despite their bright, helpless laughter at the film's start--which Boyle reprises briefly, in slo-mo, right before the credits roll at finis--their joy at being with one another, life was simply waiting to present them with an opportunity to be evil, and they chose it as easily as you scoop up a found dollar on the sidewalk. Circumstance is the only thing that kept them from madness and messy death.

Perhaps, then, the movie is no longer a Tarantino-esque no-brainer, not because I've turned into, as Jed Leland wonders about himself in Citizen Kane "a stuffed shirt, a horse-faced hypocrite, a New England school marm," but because I've caught up with Boyle's ironic fable of accident and opportunity. Social psychologist Philip Zimbardo, who conducted the famous "prison experiment" in the mid-1970s, writes about "dispositional" vs. "situational" evil, and concludes something moralists have always known: that we are all capable of evil, given the proper situation; it's just that the moralist also assumes a disposition to evil that makes even the slightest situational temptation a quivering bear-trap. Watching Shallow Grave with an ironic lack of irony--I think that's right--I stopped snickering--and passed right by being appalled--and moved on to sober sadness. Those poor bright young things. It took so little, but they took so much, including each other. Boy, am I lucky. So far.

No comments:

Copyright Notice

Content copyright © 2005-2011 by Paul J. Marasa. No part of the written work displayed on this site may be reproduced, linked or distributed in any form without the author's express permission. All images, video, audio and other materials used are deliberately and solely for illustrative purposes connected with each article. Each accompanying element is intended as a research and reference tool with relation to each article. No challenge to pre-existing rights is implied. Aside from The Constant Viewer, the author claims no responsibility for websites which link to or from this website.